Why do feet smell so much particularly when they are on the bottom of an adolescents leg? For any parent doing the sports run with children we have all experienced the perfume that is released when the feet are let out of their containers inside the shoes! There are some unspoken rules now in our car. “Keep your shoes on until we get home.” When you have wet sports grounds and sweaty feet the aroma is even more pungent.
- There are more than 250,000 sweat glands on each foot.
- In one day the foot can produce as much as 600mls of sweat.
- Fungal infections of the feet can contribute to bad foot odour.
- Because of hormonal changes adolescence and pregnant women are prone to sweat more.
- Excessive sweating is a condition called hyperhidrosis.
When the feet perspire the bacteria that is naturally found as part of our body flora is attracted to the sweat and it is the bacteria that creates foot odour.
5 tips to help with smelly feet
- Clean feet daily and dry well between the toes
- Use an antiperspirant on the foot
- Use well ventilated footwear and good quality socks – some socks have silver thread ( x – Socks)which have an antimicrobial element. Bamboo Socks are naturally antimicrobial.
- Change footwear regularly and wash shoes from the inside out – Napisan can be a good option. Find a sunny place to air shoes.
- Bicarb soda helps absorb foot odour from teenage footwear.